February Mama

Monday, September 22, 2008

Beach Baby


On Friday John and I took Will to the beach at Malibu, which we have not done since December of last year. It was a lovely, sunny day. As we were carrying Will over the sand toward the water, he suddenly caught sight of the ocean and exclaimed, "Woah! BIG pool!" which I'm still giggling over. At first he was fearful of the water and then I (perhaps foolishly, I think now, looking back) urged him closer and closer, until at the end I had to literally restrain him from rushing into the waves and the lifeguard was staring at us concernedly from his post. I just had to keep my hands on him at all times.


We also fed graham crackers to seagulls. I held Will in my arms and the gulls hovered over us and caught the pieces out of the air as I threw them. Miraculously we did not get pooped on. If I gave a cracker to Will to throw he quickly stuffed it in his mouth instead.

Living in this area has a surreal quality sometimes. Pepperdine was trying to find a tutor for Will Smith's son a little while ago. John is in a men's Bible study class with Ken Starr. We saw another Pepperdine student buying a house for 2.9 million dollars on the Bravo show Million Dollar Listing. Malibu is full of large black SUVs with tinted windows. You never know, driving around here, who you might run into.

I am teaching a class at Pepperdine now, which is going well. I have never seen such a tan group of students in all my life, but for the most part I find them bright and engaging. It feels so good to be in front of a class again; I find myself looking forward to it all week. Will is going to a little daycare nearby on Wednesday afternoons while I teach and Friday mornings. Since we got the second car, the world has opened up to Will and me. I have been exploring all of the area parks and taking Will to toddler events. I signed up for a MOPS group, and a toddler music class that will begin in October.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home