February Mama

Thursday, June 15, 2006

Secret Amphibion


Today I have really been amazed by my own sense of smell. It's amazing! On my way to work I smelled every flower, every person, every car that went by, at least that's the way it felt to me. I can't believe there are so many smells out there. So far none of the smells have made me feel sick, so I am feeling pretty good. I did some brisk walking this morning, and my energy is fairly high.

I wrote a poem a few days ago about the baby. Here it is:

Secret Amphibian

you funny salamander
every day you are a thousand times
more than you were yesterday
blood of my blood, quick-dividing
yourself into recognizable parts,
growing ears to hear us murmur
about you in the dark.
we don’t even know your name
but today your semblance of heart
started to open and shut like a fist
and it will beat and beat until
I hear you say you cannot be unmade.
you funny fish, you sesame seed-
sized morsel of aqueous dream.

I got the idea that my baby was a salamander by looking at the picture in What To Expect When You're Expecting. At this stage, the embryo looks like it has a tail, and is curled like a little lizard. My husband disagrees; he thinks the embryo looks like a tadpole. But I much prefer the image of a salamander.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home