February Mama

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Pregnant

So. . .I'm pregnant. I struggle to find the words to say about the subject, because so much has already been said, by billions and trillions of women, all around the world. I found a message board where women with the same due date (or estimated week of delivery) could post their thoughts, and already there were over 200 women who are having their babies in the same week of February as when I am due. It's crazy. It makes me realize just how big the world is, and how common this having-a-baby thing really is. And to me it feels like such a thing has never happened before in the history of our planet!

Today's symptoms: Not many. I am five weeks along, and not having many symptoms. A little trouble with digestion, a keener sense of smell than usual, a little cramping in the mornings. This last thing, the cramping, had me very worried until I could confirm that it was normal. It's the uterus growing, or some such business. But so far I have no nausea or fatigue.

People who know: My husband, who I woke up and told as soon as I took the test at 5am last Saturday morning. My best friend, Wendy, who is about to have a baby herself, anytime now. And that's it. Not our parents, our friends, anybody. It's hard, but we're going to wait for a little while to tell people. In stages.

Looking forward to: My first prenatal visit, on July 6th. I think it will make this all seem more real when I actually see a doctor.

Something I learned today about pregnancy: Morning sickness usually starts between week 2 and week 8, and it affects more than half of all women. So I guess I still have some time to go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home